What is a Brazilian Blowout? If you are interested in hair treatment techniques for hair straightening, then you have probably come across the term ‘Brazilian Blowout’ already. A Brazilian blowout is also called Brazilian Keratin Treatment, BKT, Brazilian hair straightening, escova progressiva, Keratin cure or just keratin straightening). It is characterized as a method of temporarily straightening hair by means of sealing the hair with a liquid keratin and a preservative solution with a flat hair iron.
WHAT IS A BRAZILIAN BLOWOUT ?
The Brazilian Blowout is a long-term blow dry for hair that lasts about three months. It started out in Brazil, hence the name, and the Brazilian Keratin Treatment can be performed on all types of chemically-treated hair, like bleached hair, hi-lights, coloured, permed hair, relaxed or previously straightened). The technique of the application is similar to the Japanese Yuko System in the way that the straightening irons are used to close the product into the hair cuticle. The Brazilian Blowout system aims to eliminate frizz and unruly curls, however, the system does not guarantee completely straight hair. It can relax between 50 and 80 percent of the curl depending on texture.
Treatments last around 10–12 weeks and repeating the treatment every few months will allow treatment of new hair growth. The Brazilian Blowout treatment does not allow one to wash the hair for at least 48–72 hours, pony tail or locate the hair behind the ears.
Concerns: A 2007 article in Allure magazine focused on the formaldehyde used in the process, which is a known carcinogen. The article mentioned a story of the possible association of the treatment with a 2007 death by asphyxiation in Brazil of a woman who performed the treatment herself, but the Brazilian authorities have not established a link between the death and the treatment. Formaldehyde is easily absorbed by the body when inhaled, ingested, or comes into contact with the skin and eyes, so if you have the Brazilian blowout treatment in a salon, then make sure there is adequate air ventilation in the room.
Many hair salons in the Us and Europe now offer the Brazilian Keratin Treatment, as part of their services.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE HAIR SALON:
When you arrive at the salon, the hair treatment process is as follows:
- Stylist will shampoo your hair with the Brazilian Blowout specially formulated Anti-Residue; Professional Shampoo to prepare your hair for the optimal smoothing result.
- After towel drying, your certified Brazilian Blowout stylist will divide your hair into sections and begin to comb the Brazilian Blowout Professional Treatment through each section of the hair from root to tip; lightly dusting each section with the solution.
- Solution will surround each hair shaft with protective protein layers to smooth and flatten the cuticle.
- Stylist will then blow-dry your hair as straight as possible with a flat or round brush.
- Once the hair is dry, the Stylist will divide the hair into four sections and begin using a flat iron to further straighten the hair in 2-3 inch sections.
- Once complete, the Stylist will rinse the hair (no shampoo), towel-dry and apply the Brazilian Blowout Masque to further seal in the professional formulation. After 60 seconds, the stylist will rinse the hair once again and towel dry.
- The Stylist will then apply the Brazilian Blowout Smoothing Serum to further seal the cuticle and assist in detangling the hair prior to the final blow dry.
- The Stylist will then blow dry the hair straight one final time and style as desired.
Brazilian Blowout cost:
The costs are determined by length, thickness and texture. ‘Average’ hair treatment should take around 2 hours and cost about $300-350 in the US.
-For more on maintaining long and healthy hair and How to make your hair grow faster, please see the front page.
Today's Incoming page searchterms:
- brazilian blowout before and after
- brazilian keratin treatment before and after
- brazilian blowout
- keratin treatment before after
- brazilian blowout hair growth
- brazilian keratin treatment before and after photos
- brazilian blowout before and after air dry
- keratin blowout